Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

The Great American Road Trip - 2019: Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park - Stop #1



Day 1 June 7, 2019!   We were off for a grand adventure. Myself and 3 of my children were crossing the United States to California to see my marine son.   

Welcome Center - Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park
This was a great first stop.  It took us a little over two hours to arrive.  Ocmulgee is located at 1207 Emery Highway in Macon, GA.   It’s the perfect price range for our family:  FREE.  





The first thing we did was check out the visitor center.  Our park ranger was very knowledgeable and welcoming.  She really knew her history.   Before you go, visit their website by clicking Ocmulgee.   It will give you great information on the history and the trails available to walk while you are visiting.  I learned a lot just checking out the National Park Service websites while planning our adventure.   I printed out the things I wanted to share with the kiddos on the way before we got there.   We also looked at the different trails ahead of time to decide which trails we wanted to walk while we were there.   

According to the website, this was the largest Archaelogical dig in American History.   The mounds were for the elite of their tribes.  We learned about the Mississippian period and the Creek Indians, and so much more.




Deer




I’ll probably say this at all the stops, but this is one I’d return to and hike more trails.   It’s a pretty area, close to the city, and not too far from home.  The adventure continues.....

No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com