Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Great American Road Trip 2019 - What I Wish I Remembered or Knew When Planning

Overall, the trip went off without a hitch.  However, I did learn a few things along the way that I want to list in hopes that I'll remember next time we travel afar.   They are written below.
  1.   Time Changes.    That was a slap in the head "wish I could have had a V8" moment kind of discovery.  When I've traveled by plane, I've always considered what the time will be when I get there.   However, when planning this trip, I didn't think about the time zones across the United States.   So going to California we were always ahead of schedule, smooth sailing, and excited about my mistake.   Going home was another story.  It meant adjusting to lose an hour here or there.  It wasn't a big deal, but wish I would have thought about it when planning.
  2.   Sunday Destinations - Next time I will call ahead to be sure of Sunday hours.  Many locations seemed to be opened on Sunday, but were not when we arrived.  However, many that weren't listed as open that we just planned to hike at happened to be open for the summer.  Calling ahead would have cleared that up.
  3. Back up Camping Sites - We got to a couple of our primitive camping sites that just didn't work for us.   Fortunately, there was always a nearby State Park that worked out great.   It would've been nice to have a few of those listed ahead of time instead of searching on my phone some late nights.
  4. Food - I over did the Costco trip at home before we left.  I wish I would have bought half the supplies here, and half in CA at Costco just to save room in the vehicle.  We did have fresh food stops along the way planned out.
That's about it.   Everything else went as planned or better, so I have no complaints.   Safe travels my friends!   Next update will discuss our first destination:   Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park in Macon, Ga.   


No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com