Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Rainy Saturday in May

I LOVE the rain especially if I get to stay home in warm "jammy" pants, a hot cup of tea, and a good book.    Today however one son fished in the rain for his RA cookout tomorrow at church.   My mom, 2 younger daughters, and granddaughter had a GA tea to go to.  As I crawled out of bed this morning, I was just going through the motions making a choice to rejoice on this rainy, chilly day.   We needed to be there at 10 after picking up my beautifully dressed granddaughter.   Of course, it was wonderful.  Had a great time visiting other ladies and girls dressed for this spring tea (adorning sweaters, of course).   Was home by 12:30, took an unplanned nap, donned some warm jammy pants, and sat for a bit watching history channel before I decided I need to get busy this Saturday afternoon.   My oldest three still at home (18, nearly 16, and nearly 14) are going to the movies together, while my younger three are playing with the two grandchildren, and I feel overwhelmingly blessed!   Of course, I always hoped my children would grow up to be the best of friends, but it is so exciting to see it come to fruition.  I will work on my 5k that I put together for the youth to earn money for their Jamaican mission trip this summer, type up my two week menu that my husband and I put together before we shopped for groceries yesterday, do the last load of laundry, prepare meatloaf and veggies for dinner, and just enjoy this day at home.  

The books I finished the last few weeks are The Killing of Kennedy, The Killing of Lincoln, and Dam Break in Georgia.   If you like historical reading that reads like a novel, you will enjoy the first two books.   The last book, also historical, reads like praise reports through tragedy.  

Whatever you may be doing this 4th of May, I hope you are enjoying and savoring life.   Cancer taught me last year that you REALLY never know what tomorrow may bring. 

Lastly, here is a video to enjoy from John Piper!   It's great stuff.

No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com