Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Oh No She Didn't.......Oh Yes I Did!!

Just a little background for those who don't know me well.   I don't like to make excuses for anything.   (O.k. maybe I'd like to but my pride won't allow it.)  When pregnant with Cindy, we climbed Stone Mountain around 8+ months because I didn't want to use the "pregnant card."   When I was pulled over by the police for yielding instead of making a complete stop, I couldn't bring myself to use the "don't you work with my husband card."   If I get behind on chores or school, I don't want to use the "well duh I have 8 children card" because I feel God wouldn't give me more than He will enable me to manage. 

BUT, the other night when we had the house fire, I pulled a card.   My cabinets and counter tops were emptied onto the dining room floor because my husband installed the counter tops before he went to work and my 16 year old was caulking the corners.  My living room was covered in boxes from the home school consignment book store that was being packed up, and I was in my room in the bed with the younger children because I was so stinking tired.   When I surveyed the mess that the firemen had to see as they climbed into my attic to be sure there was not any way our home would catch back on fire after they left, I looked at the fire man holding the ladder and apologized for the mess that I was in bed early with the children because (deep breath and sad countenance) I have cancer.  He apologized and by pulling my C card I realized children services wouldn't be at my door in a few hours due to the disaster of my home and allowing the older boys do fireworks unsupervised.   Soooo there is my true confession.    Now my husband may tell you that I pull it nightly when I ask him to scratch my back but don't you listen to him. :) happy

1 comment:

Amy said...

Praying for you and your family! Amy Hatcher and family

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com