Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Plans

Happy New Year!  I was pondering why we get so excited about a new year that we make extravagant resolutions and plans that we hope to improve ourselves by year after year.   Surprisingly, my somewhat negative attitude towards New Year's Resolutions aside, when reviewing previous years I realized that despite not making "the goal" in the year I had made them and "arriving" at some destination of my imagination,  I've come a long way.   When I began wanting to eat healthier 25 years ago, new recipes were found.    Now I do most of my cooking without a recipe and naturally add onions, garlic, olive oil, coconut oil to recipes that I can to improve it's health benefits.    I began buying whole grain breads.  Now I bake whole grain breads from fresh ground wheat.   I don't juice every day but my family juices a lot when fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables are available.  We may not go to the gym daily but we look for ways to be active even if it means walking or riding bikes around the neighborhood, parking way out at the store, taking stairs instead of elevators, etc.  My garden will never make the cover of a magazine but it supplies a lot of great veggies during the summer months.   Now lest you think I'm bragging, I can also tell you many goals I did not accomplish this past year like finishing painting the interior of our home, keeping clutter totally under control, paying off taxes early, and visiting family more.

Here we are the first week of January and despite myself, I'm excited to be at the starting gates ready to run.    May we run the race well this year and not grow weary in well doing. 

Here are some of my goals/plans.  

1)  Family Bible Reading continued and more consistent. We stay on track on school days but vary on others.
2)   Bible Memory.   Have a list of things for us to memorize this year.
3)  Nutrition.  Goals spread throughout the year like remember to drink your green tea, juice daily with Barley max, etc.   Would love to only make our bread and not purchase but not knowing what chemo/radiation is going to be like this year it's a goal I'll be flexible on. 
4)  Exercise.   Do something daily.
5)  Personal Bible Study:   Beginning with the New Inductive Bible study on the Pentatuch
6) Home schooling:   Staying on track in our Challenge courses and Foundations Work.   Reading more great books.
7)   Home.   Finish decluttering and house repairs (painting, trim work, etc.)
8)  Lord willing, kick this cancer to the curb and be "normal" again.

What are some of your aspirations this coming year, 2012!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Where do I sign up for the meal thingy Michelle? Praying for that sign I spoke of when you get the results tomorrow!!

Michelle said...

Hey Katherine. Praying you are right! Meal site: http://www.takethemameal.com/meals.php?t=YDFQ6376

Thanks so much!

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com