Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Monday, December 17, 2012

2012 Tordoff Holiday Letter




Greetings to the saints, faithful friends and family.  Grace, mercy, and peace to you all from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.    2012 has been the hardest and best year ever.   A week before Christmas last year I found out I had colorectal cancer.   It should have filled me with incredible fear knowing 2 of my grandparents died of the same cancer at ages not too very far from my own, but God.   I had also been laid off from work a couple of months earlier, and I wouldn’t be able to look for more work for a long time.   How would we make ends meet?  He gave me an incredible peace even from the beginning.   The tumor was too large to operate on right away so I went nearly six weeks of chemo and radiation to attempt to shrink the tumor.   On April 11th I went in and had surgery.  I complained to the doctor about how painful it was weeks afterwards.   I let him know I did much better after my c-sections and did not understand why I wasn’t feeling pain free and energetic yet.   He laughed and let me know that my comparison of my surgery and a c-section was like comparing it to having my teeth cleaned.   Well then, I guess I was on track, :D!   The tumor they removed was as big as a large man’s fist.   About six weeks out from surgery, I began chemo again this time with an iliostomy….a cruel and unusual combination.   I’ll spare you the gruesome details.     After 8 treatments over about a 10 week period, I rested another month, and then had my reverse ostomy surgery (basically got my plumbing fixed) the day before Thanksgiving.   While you were eating turkey and fixings, I was sucking on ice chips and just as thankful as could be.   I was alive and cancer free.   Praise God!  Since then, I’ve just been recovering from surgery while getting back into the swing of school, home making, and caring for my family.  Somehow, we made it this year without me working.   I didn’t even cook from January through April due to meals given to us from friends and family.  We were given various financial gifts throughout the year.   A golf tournament was
given for us in June that paid for our heating and air conditioner to be replaced.  And even when the meals and money gifts quit, God provided!  Books that sat on Amazon for over a year would sell in a week that we had pressing needs, or an insurance check we didn’t even remember would show up just in the nick of time.  

Even our tax refund was just what we needed to give us the suburban without getting into any debt.   This was a tough year, but God taught me so much.  Overwhelmingly, He blessed me with all the above including His peace and Hope when I felt so sick that giving up didn’t look too bad.   The love shown to me through Rusty & the children through their constant care for me and all the details of running a home will never be forgotten.  Thanks to all for the prayers and support.   We definitely felt the love!  Now to update you on the munchkins.

John Russell, 19 and working, moved out this year.  How’d he grow up so fast?  He works stocking at Kirklands a few days a week, and builds cabinets with his Dad the other days.  He continues to enjoy working out, and hanging out with friends and visiting us!  

Nicholas is 17 and a senior in high school this year.   He is allowing me one more year to be sure he finishes well.    We are looking into him dual enrolling in college this next year while we tie up all the loose ends.   He has been a great help this past year in keeping things in order.

Timothy, 15, is in his freshmen year.   He and Praise were the tag team chefs many days this year.   He and Nicholas have enjoyed the “Lord of the Ring” marathon this month and were both excited to see “The Hobbit” when it came out last night.  He’s a hard worker, and he keeps us laughing.

Praise, 13, is in 8th grade.   She is still a voracious reader.   She has just begun getting into the “Lord of the Rings” series so she can watch the movies.  She has gotten so much taller this year along with her brothers.   She was also a huge help this past year.

Michael, 11, is in the 6th grade.  He is playing basketball this season and loves it.    He also got glasses this year and looks quite studious.   He still enjoys riding bikes (usually with Praise).   He is a hard worker, and tag teamed with the others to keep things on track this year.

Emily, 7, is in second grade.  She loves for me to sit with her so she can read to me.   She enjoys playing babies with Rylie, coloring, and playing outside.

Christopher, 3, is our silly fella.  He keeps us in stitches with all his antics.   He loves to eat, be read to, and play hard with Jackson and his brothers.

Cindy's family is doing great.  I had the privilege of pinning Cindy during her graduation ceremony from nursing school.  Rylie is in first grade at Augusta Christian and excelling.  Jackson, all rough and tough boy, is a happy, smiley 4 year old.

Our family is doing something very different this year.   We are not doing Christmas gifts but going on vacation for 3 days, 2 nights in the mountains.   We planned on it early in the year.   Honestly, I wanted to make sure we made a great memory just in case things didn’t turn out as well as they have.   My family including my grown ones and grandbabies, my mom & Randy, Sandi’s family, Brian’s family, Aunt Fran & Uncle Mike, and Aunt Joan will all be there.   I’m getting pretty excited.   I’ll let you know next year how it all turned out.   I have a feeling it’s going to be the best Christmas ever.   Love to all.  Be sure to keep in touch and if you are in the area, please stop by!

Merry Christmas to All
from the Tordoff Troop and
Blessings for a Wonderful New Year


P.S.   There was also a spaghetti dinner for us early on that I forgot to include that we were blessed by.
P.P.S.   Nicholas and Timothy are going on a mission trip in July to Jamaica.  They are looking for extra work.   Have anything they can do, please let us know.   If you feel led to donate, thanks in advance.   Please pray for their safety and divine appointments.

Ways to Keep In Touch
SNAIL MAIL:  140 Summerfield Circle, Grovetown, GA 30813
BLOGS:   Michelletordoff.blogspot.com, Now Michelle’s Cooking @ MichelleTordoff.wordpress.com
FACEBOOK:   Michelle Williams Tordoff, Rusty Tordoff, Cindy Rutherford, JohnRussell Tordoff, Nicholas Tordoff, and Timothy Tordoff
FACEBOOK GROUPS:   Live a Life of No Regrets, Big Happy Family Books
TWITTER:   OurBigHappyFam
IN PERSON:   Stop on by y’all!

No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com