Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Friday, May 25, 2012

I Am God's Favorite

I  enjoy telling my children that I am God's favorite . When an unexpected blessing comes our way, I smile and tell them "See, I told you.  I'm God's favorite."   When a beautiful bird lights upon our kitchen window bird feeder and sings, when an amazing sky blue pink sunset fills the sky, or when a meteor zips across the sky on a star filled night, I smile at them and tell them "yep, that's for me."   When true miracles have come our way, I truly felt the Lord's smile upon us.

How do my children feel now that I have cancer.  I have done the chemotherapy and radiation.  I have had surgery.  I still have stinking, active live cells.  Will they think the Lord gave up on me or turned His back towards me?   Do they wonder if the Lord is punishing me?  Will they think if this is how God treats His favorites, what hope do they have?   I am not sure how the eight of them will wrestle out their questions?   I pray their faith will be strengthened through this trial.   How could I possibly feel like a favored chosen one and not a victim to this hideous, sneaky disease?  It's hard to articulate in words but I still believe that despite my circumstances I am a highly favored daughter of the King.   Romans 8:38-39 says: 

   For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, 
nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,  
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, 
shall be able to separate us from the love of God, 
which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

With certainty, I believe this is true.  The Lord has surrounded me with His love while my body has struggled in pain.  He has sent encouraging notes, texts, and messages through His body (the church) when my mind, body, and spirit was too tired to remember.   He has sent over 100 meals since I was diagnosed the week of Christmas.   He has sent monies to help with our bills and doing so made provision for what we needed.   Though my physical future is uncertain, my spiritual future is secure in Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of the Father who has gone to prepare a heavenly home for me.   When fear has threatened to assail me, I've only to turn my heart to a faithful, heavenly Father who gives me peace in the storm and the faith to trust His heart when I can't understand his ways.  I choose to sing with the hymnast Horatio Spafford.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul. 

Refrain: It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul

Refrain

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

I choose to say with Paul in Philippians 3:7-10 that "But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death."  I have gained more intimacy with Him, because my life has been forced to slow and sometimes stand still.   I desire the power of His resurrection in order to operate in the anointing by sharing His life and joy to all I meet.   I honestly NEVER desired to share in His sufferings, I am weak.   But, In Christ, I have found just as He beared the attacks and sufferings Himself, He enables me to stand strong when my eyes stay upon Him and not upon my circumstances, my pain, or even me, me, me in general.   So today we are catching up on some school, going on a picnic at the park, and cleaning the house.   And every blessing and reminder in nature that comes our way I will look at my children and grandchildren with a smile and say "yep, I am God's favorite and they are too."  

  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the beautiful post today, Michelle. The grace (beauty) of God is evident in your testimony. The road you are on is not easy, as we are finding out with our son-in-law, but what a God we have to bear us up and use our afflictions for His glory and our good. May God continue to strengthen you for your trial and keep you and your family in the comfort of His love. Chuck

Theresa said...

Michelle, I have been thinking of you since I saw your post on PW. You are a beautiful example of giving God glory in all things. Praying for complete healing for you. Keep your mind fixed on things above, as you have been!

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com