Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Monday, March 28, 2011

Creation Debate in Homeschooling

I've spent the last hour reading about a huge debate in home schooling circles and was surprised to read how big a controversy this is becoming in our community.  Spending time with our children sharing this information would be a teachable moment to see how they would interpret the differing views being presented.

It seems that many were offended that Dr Ken Ham would share how dangerous he thought another speaker (teaching at the same conference) would be teaching on creation.  They were so offended that he has been uninvited to other conferences.   To get the story from AIG's point of view go here.    I'm going to listen to this broadcast when the kiddos go to bed to find out more.  I also read a write up in Christianity today and basically have just ended up saddened that these matters weren't handled biblically with one another before a full internet explosion of information was thrown out.

Buy at Art.com

If one believes dangerous information is being taught, one should be able to discuss your concerns freely without being "banned" from future events.  Christians should be able to debate differing opinions.  I also read Dr. Wile's blog and felt he truly was trying to debate in love although I disagreed with his opinion of the situation between Dr. Enns and Dr. Ham.

What to do with all this information?   Pray.  Pray the home school community can continue to be quite diverse but stand together for our freedom to home school our children.  Pray that this debate doesn't draw lines in our Christian homeschooling communities.  As Augustine says, “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity."  Pray that our freedom of speech isn't suppressed on the basis of Christian love because sometimes the most loving thing we can do is speak the truth!

No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com