Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Nerf Guns Everywhere and New Year's Resolutions

I'm writing this amidst rapid Nerf gun fire, and believe it or not, it's so normal my thoughts aren't even scattered!   I didn't make my normal goals this year.  I try to begin a lot of great things at once and do well for a while and then one week of sick kiddos and it's all over.  This year I'm making one health/physical, one spiritual, one mental and one family goal before I do anything else.  My first health/physical goal was to give up diet cokes!  It is my one true vice.  There weren't even withdrawals or headaches when I quit this year because I already quit buying them at home a long time ago.  I saved them for when I was out during happy hour at Sonic.  A tall, bubbly, itty bitty ice of carbonation for a BUCK!!!   YESSSS, it was good while it lasted.  Next week will be about 2 weeks so I'll start my new health/physical goal then...at least 30 minutes of purposeful exercise a day.  Don't get me wrong.  A household this big, I never quit moving. But, I need to get more disciplined in this area again so that's next.

My first spiritual goal is to daily read the Word alone and with the family.  I've done at least one or the other since the first but not consistent with both yet.  Once, I conquer that one I actually do have a yearly plan of studies this year.

My first mental goal is to learn more Latin before I need to teach it in Challenge next year.   Therefore, I'm beginning to do the books with the children that they are doing and then I will begin Rosetta Stone.  I usually just follow along with the teacher book and don't make myself think things as through as I need to do. 

Lastly, my family goal is to get out of holiday - run- run - rush -rush mode and back into settled life.  Meals back at the table together.  Prayers more consistent.  Bedtimes back on track.  Limited television, video games, etc. during the week so we can focus more on school and home life.

Well, time to get the "shooters" to put their weapons away for the night.  It's "jammy" time.  Half of them are already behind on that bedtime deal :D.  Good night blogging world.

No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com