Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Glory to God

What a busy season I'm in. We just finished swim team and the children got their trophies the other night. Michael waltzed down from the stage with his trophy in hand and said "This isn't real gold!". I had to break it to him he was not in the Olympics. This week on top of working we are also taking care of Sandi's horses, cats and dogs. It's been fun. The Lord has revealed to me more and more this summer His great favor upon our lives. At every turn, He seems to be blessings us in incredible ways. First of all with another blessing due next year. Then when I'm at my sickest in this pregnancy, He has provided meals (free) almost daily. Without me asking, without my hand out, He has given me a friend that has treated us to lunch in her restaurant several times, given us free coupons to chick-fil-a, the children found free coupons in my car for the kiddos to have Krispy Kreme (not healthy - I know), invited to eat with others and more. He gave the boys a free weekend at the lake in a gorgeous home with jet skis. He gave us a week at the beach free in a week 1/2. He's given us a membership at a tennis/pool club. He provided free bathing suits, goggles and a swim cap when we went to purchase at the swim supply store.

I will now give you the 5 steps to gaining favor with God - NOT!! The only thing I have done is to open my eyes to His abundant generosity to us every day from the cooler morning, the tomatoes on our vine, the blooming flowers, the sky blue pink sky He paints for me in the evening. He is always available to us, speaking to us, loving us. What an awesome God!! The only thing I know of why He's so generous with us is that my heart's desire is to live a life fully given to Him. Trust me it doesn't look the way I want it to. In my dream world I'd always be the perfect patient Mother; the dream wife that lives to serve her husband - waking before him and always having the perfect spread on the table before he even gets out of the shower and of course, always available to meet his every need; the perfect servant of God who always devotes hours of time to spend with Him in study, worship and prayer and a fantastic housekeeper and homemaker on top of giving my children the most amazing God-filled education in the world. Trust me, I'm far short from attaining any of these. I dream and strive for big goals and fall far short.

I do wonder if part of His generosity is due to the fact that against family wishes, doctor's wishes, and sometimes common financial sense we still allow Him to bless us with children in His timing and ways. I have found when we allow Him to give us His children to raise for His glory He truly does provide in AMAZING ways for His own. I have probably spent far less over the last 22 years on the 7 blessings He gave us than most folks spend in 2 years providing for their blessings. If I don't allow my pride to get in the way, people will bend over backwards to give us hand me downs that are in like new condition. We've been given furniture when people were redecorating. We've been given a dishwasher because on my husband's cabinet job the folks wanted to update their kitchen. He's allowed me to stretch my husbands pay to spend far less on groceries than some families I know that have only 2 children. That doesn't mean we've not had hard financial, relational, or other times because we have. BUT GOD, in his infinite mercy, has never left us nor forsaken us, given up on us due to our shortcomings and failings. He continues to guide us and teach us and love us. He is an amazing God and I hope to continually, daily, moment-by moment all my days fall more and more in love with Him. And NEVER settle for the mundane, no purpose life of "making it" day - by - day. May I always be passionate for Him and live zealously to further His kingdom and allow Him to make me a trophy of His grace. And I better end my praises to Him or the horses will never get fed today. :) Praise you Lord Jesus and I do give you ALL the glory for anything good in my life. And I know it's nothing that I can do or earn but your abundant grace and favor upon my life. Praises to the King of Kings!!!

No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com