Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Monday, May 27, 2013

What Are You Reading?

"You will be the same person in five years 
as you are today except
for the people you meet
and the books you read."
~Charlie Tremendous Jones

Keeping our home, home schooling, being a wife and mom, gardening a little, and being active at church makes it hard to read all the books I'd love to read.  However, I am always encouraging my guys to read each week a new book (to them).  Now for one of my girls right now, she could read 24/7.  She is learning balance.  We decided to use our books this week to begin our summer reading program list from our local library.  So what are we reading?

Nicholas, 18, is reading "Not a Fan," by Kyle Idleman.  I talked so much about how I loved it that he wanted to read it after he finished "Radical."


Timothy, 15, just finished reading John Piper's "Seeing and Savoring Jesus," and this week he wants to read "Follow Me," by David Platt.

Praise, 13, finished "The Lamplighter", by Maria Cummings and this week she is reading "Sherlock Holmes" the complete collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Michael, 11, is almost finished "Joel, a Boy of Galilee" by Annie F Johnston and will begin  "Happy, Happy, Happy" this week.  Most of the summer I will have him reading through the Heroes of Faith and Courage series.   


Emily, 8, decided to read the Bible Wise series along with chapters in Genesis.

What am I reading?  Well, I decided to read "Sir Knight of the Splendid Way," by W.E. Cule and John Piper's "Seeing and Savoring Jesus" again.   

Also, my nephew Brian is spending the week with us and he is reading "Happy, Happy, Happy" with my son Michael.   (When Michael does math, Brian reads....when Brian does math, Michael reads.)

Our summer schedule will look something like this:

7:00  Math
8:00  Science
9:00  chores
10:00 Pool
2:00  Reading
3:00  Anything you need to finish from school year or FREE TIME
5:00  Dinner
8:00  Family Walk

I want to incorporate some nature journaling throughout the summer and we have 4 small garden areas (potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers) that we are tending to also.  Not to mention, we have puppies to train and some to find good homes for.

So what are you reading this summer?  Challenge your children who are participating in the summer reading program to read things that are good for them.  Use Philipians 4:8 as your guide.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report;
if there be any virtue,
and if there be any praise,
think on these things.


If you'd like some free books, head on over to my Big Happy Family Books face book page.  I try to list a few free Amazon and other source books each week.   If you are getting rid of books, I'd love to take them off your hands.  I sell books on Amazon as a small business.  Hope you have a fabulous week!!


1 comment:

Tricia said...

Just fyi Michelle...Kyle Idleman was one of our pastors when we lived in Louisville. Our kids went to school together. He is incredible and I've been meaning to get his book. Thanks for the reminder!

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com