Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Saturday, February 9, 2013

What It Means to Be A Christian Mom

This was the subject posed to me by another blogger at DoSmallThingsWithLove.com.  She challenged me with this when she wrote to me on my food blog. 

Here was my quick reply, although I could probably write for days on this subject.  

I would say at first I must of course be a Christian, a sinner saved by Grace who trusted in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Once my identity is found in Him, all my other roles must be ran through the filter of His Word. For me, being a Christian Mom, means dying a lot of deaths to meet the needs of my children. I never realized how selfish I was until I had my first child. It means praying that He will enable my husband and I to train them to love the Lord with all their hearts, souls, minds, and strengths. The Lord has graciously blessed us with 8 children and 2 grandchildren. He has enabled me to home school for the last 22+years. My motivation for home schooling was to have more opportunities to train them for His glory, protect them from the world until they are grounded in Him, and selfishly enjoy them for myself because I always knew it would go fast. Little did I know how very, very fast it would fly. A Christian mother is a high calling from the Lord and I believe we should seek the Lord and ask Him for wisdom, strength, love, and grace each day to carry out this sacred duty He has given us. What a privilege! What a Savior!


What I didn't add in my comment is although I hope and pray for all my children to follow Him and love Him with all that they are, I know I am just a vessel; and that the Holy Spirit alone can convict a child of his/her need for the Savior.   My hope, of course, is that they will all pour out their lives for the Lord Jesus.  I pray that the Lord will use me as a Christian mom to point them to the Savior.   May we all live our lives for His glory.    As John Piper would say "to have a supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples."

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Michelle I couldn't love you any more than the goals you have for your children. They are all good kids. The lord will take care of them because you have been a good christian Mom.

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com