Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Monday, June 18, 2012

Five Deadliest Myths About Colorectal Cancer

TRUTH:   Colon Cancer is the #2 cause of cancer related deaths in men and women!

Myth #1:   Only Old People Get it

Statistically, your odds are greater as you age but 7% of people get it younger than 50.   (Yep, I'm in the 7%!)


Myth #2:  Colorectal Cancer is a Man's Disease

Nope, an equal opportunity disease striking men & women with similar frequency.


Myth #3:  No One in My Family Ever Had Colorectal Cancer, so I'm Not At Risk

80% of people who get this cancer did not have it in their family before.

Myth #4:  I Don't Need to Worry, I feel Fine

This is the worst myth of all.   The average-risk individual's colorectal cancer begins as a polyp that transforms over the course of years into cancer.   Don't wait until you feel bad to get screened. 
(That's what I did.   I had felt fatigued for a loong time but blew it off as busy mom, lots of children, home schooling, etc.  It wasn't until I had changed stools and blood did I get checked and then it was a huge tumor the size of a man's fist.)

Myth #5:   Colorectal Cancer Always Starts with Blood in the Stool

This is based on some reality but you cannot always see the blood.   It may be microscopic.   Some don't bleed at all.


Good News:   90% of colon cancer is curable when caught early enough.    Please be sure to get a colonoscopy when your doctor recommends or earlier if you have any symptoms.   I know it seems embarrassing, but you are out of it when it's done and it's a lifesaver.

Also, although colon cancer is a scary disease, don't walk in fear.   II Timothy 1:7 states that God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.


Information found at "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Colorectal Cancer", by Mark Bennett Pochapin, M.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chelle, This is wonderful information. My colonoscopy is scheduled for July 3rd.
Love ya, Cindy D-K

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com