Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

First Day of Radiation

It seems almost surreal that I have cancer.    The few hours a day I feel "normal" we school, clean, read, etc. like every other year.   However, in the last few months  I've become a napper.   I've never liked napping except when I was in the nonfunctional tired stage of pregnancy and even then felt like I wasted time.   I guess I'm sleeping so much because I've become anemic, because I don't sleep well at night due to the pain, or lately from rolling onto the port they put in for the chemo.   I've had 12 appointments in the past few weeks and beginning today will have one appointment four days a week and two appointments one day a week.   Of course, that doesn't include children's six month dental cleanings coming up or Praise's blood work to be sure her thyroid levels are where they should be.   I'm so thankful for the friends and family who get my children to co-op and the park for tennis on Tuesdays and church on Wednesday evenings so their schedule stays pretty much the same. 

The great news of this week is that my mammogram results are in and breast cancer isn't another issue.   That was the original concern after my first appointment due to some fibroid cysts found during my appointment.    Today was my first radiation treatment.   I was surprised to find out how tired I was afterwards and that it felt like my insides were on fire.    Came home and went to bed.   Woke up, ate dinner, and played cards with the family.   The meals that have been provided for our family has been such a blessing.   The prayers have sustained me and I have had more energy since folks have been praying for me than I had before I was diagnosed.  The Lord has given my family and I such peace that it's hard to put into words.    Asking why has not been something I wrestle with because I know we live in a fallen world.   Of course, I'd love for this not to be an issue in our family or for anyone else.   Then again I also wish we didn't have human trafficking, abortion, homeless people, hunger, etc.   It sure makes you long for the new heaven and the new earth.  “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”(Rev. 21:3-4)  But I'm not ready yet.   I'm hoping to raise my children, see them get married, having more grandchildren and grow old with my high school sweetheart.  Until the Lord tells me otherwise, I'm believing He is able to heal me in a moment or even through medical means.  Thanking the Lord for all the good things He's provided since becoming ill and for being closer than a brother.

1 comment:

Lorretta at Dancing on the Dash said...

Well my dear....I'm over here in the 'Boro prayer-warrioring for you and the family. Hang in there and don't hesitate to let people keep helping--we like to feel like we're actually "doing" something to get others through things so swishing toilets becomes ministry! As a matter of fact, I clean houses on the side so if you ever want me to come spiff things up, I'm your girl!

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com