Quote from "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss

"She says I shall now have one mouth more to fill and two feet the more to shoe, more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure or visiting, reading, music and drawing.

Well! This is one side of the story, to be sure, but I look at the other.

Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other dear darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, wondrously blest!"

Friday, October 24, 2008

Early morning rambling thoughts

In a recent sermon, I heard this quote from C.S. Lewis and thought it was pretty profound. "The opposite of love is not hate but apathy". It goes well with the quote from Edmund Burke that says, "The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing."

The first quote reminds me of when my friend Nigel admitted that there were tragic things he became immune to living in aids stricken Africa because they were so common living where his family lived. So he asked the Lord to give him His heart on those things. He asked for a change of heart. I definitely want my heart to break with the things that break the Lord's heart.

Do we really love people when we ignore the sins in their lives or pretend they are okay without knowing Jesus? Do we really love when we get so busy in our own lives we don't even pray against the enemy in the lives around us? It's easy for some sins to become "common" to our culture that we don't see them as "big deals" anymore. But sin is sin. And the wages of sin is death. Not life!! We need to show people LIFE and that life is found alone in Christ Jesus.

Are we willing for evil to triumph? We know the devil is defeated so are we going to allow him to destroy lives around us because we are too busy to press into God to pray? Are we going to be too busy to help those who are struggling? Let us be the hands and feet of the One who lives within us to a lost and dying world around us. We can't save anyone....but WE never could. It's all the Holy Spirit's working but we can be available for the Holy Spirit to work through us and give hope and freedom to a lost and dying generation.

No comments:

My Favorites

Quote from Jim Elliott

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (His thoughts on Luke 16:9)

music


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com